Saturday, June 25, 2011

What Was I Thinking?


As our time in Florencia is coming to a close and I begin to pack up I realize just how far off base I was on my prepartions to come. On the wise advise of 'not to stand out as foreigners' I left my white sneakers behind and packed a low key attire of simple shirts and capris. Well, this neutral attire had quite the opposite effect that I had planned for. Like those fun children's puzzles of  'what does NOT belong here'...I was the lone gal without skin tight pants, high waited-low cut shirts, dangling earrings, and high heels. The frumpy, comfortable, & very happy woman with an adorable nina by her side best describes me in Florencia. I think my feelings of frumpiness were compounded by the fact that there was beauty queen convention at our hotel.:)

Another thing I am wondering about is what to do with this load of hazardous waste I packed. Having been advised by Loyola's travel nurse that we would be entering an area described as 'high risk' for the mosquito born illnesses of yellow fever and typhus due to Florencia's low elevation and close proximity to the Amazon Rainforest I stocked up on the most potent of bug sprays. I have enough here to live with Tarzan and Jane for a year...what was I thinking?? The true irony is that we have not seen ONE mosquito!!!

Will post again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment